- Dit evenement is voorbij.
Panel discussion: ‘China’s Future’ and ‘Reporting EU-China’
15 november 2016 | 16:45
On November 15, EU reporter, the People’s Daily and the EU-Asia Centre will host a panel discussion on ‘China’s Future’ and ‘Reporting EU-China’. Executive director of the LeidenAsiaCentre, Prof.dr. Frank Pieke, will participate in this discussion and present his book “Knowing China, a Twenty-First Century Guide”. The panel discussion will take place at the Press-club in Brussels.
17:00 Panel One: China’s Future
The future of China is one of the biggest questions for the entire world. After two decades of spectacular growth, the economy is now slowing down. But is it facing a hard or soft landing and what will the implications be for China and the EU? Politically President Xi has achieved more power and influence than his predecessors. What are his plans for China? What is the basis for the China Dream? How is the ruling communist party (CCP) coping with the huge social changes in China?
- Moderator Fraser Cameron, Director of the EU-Asia Centre
- Professor Kerry Brown, Lau Institute, London (author of ‘President Xi’)
- Professor Frank Pieke, Leiden University (author of China in the 21st century’)
- Professor Men Jing – expert EU/China
- Jo Leinen, MEP, chair of the EP delegation to China
18:00 Panel Two: Reporting EU-China
The media have a major task in reporting developments in each other’s societies. But what are the respective challenges facing the Brussels Press Corps (Europeans and Chinese) in reporting on EU-China relations? What are the challenges for the media covering major issues such, the ‘One Belt One Road’ initiative?
- Moderator Jim Gibbons (former EuroParlTV, Deutsche Welle, CNN)
- Colin Stevens, Publisher, EU Reporter
- Eric Maurice, Editor EU Observer
- Xu liqun-Chief correspondent – People’s Daily European Center
- Ren Yan – Senior journalist – People’s Daily European Center
- Nikolay Barekov MEP (Former journalist)
- Representative of Mission of China to the EU (to be confirmed)
19:00 – 21:00 Networking Reception
No registration required
Free public event
For more information visit the website of the Press-club.